There are so many things to buy and prepare for! If you’re a first-time parent, or even if you’re not, use this newborn checklist to make sure you have everything you need for your little one in the first six months. From diapers and wipes to clothes and toys, we’ve got you covered!
Baby Must-Have List For First 6 Months:
Cleaning and Diapering Accessories
To make things as easy as possible on yourself, you’ll want to have plenty of cleaning and diapering supplies on hand.
- Newborns go through a lot of diapers, so stock up! You can choose from disposable or cloth options, and there are many different brands on the market. Do some research to find the type that is right for your family.
You’ll also need:
- Baby wipes. There are many different brands and types available, so find the ones that work best for you. It is a good idea to have several packs on hand, especially if you are traveling. It is also a good idea to have some baby wash in case you need to give your baby a bath.
- Diaper rash cream and changing pad.
As far as cleaning goes, you’ll need:
- Baby shampoo and body wash
- Soft brush or comb, and lotion. Your baby’s skin will need to be moisturized, and you can do this with baby lotion. There are many different types available, so find one that suits your child’s needs. It is a good idea to have a bottle or two of baby lotion on hand at all times.
- You may also want to keep a small first-aid kit on hand in case of any minor bumps or bruises. Be sure to include items like bandages, gauze, tape, and antibiotic ointment. It is also a good idea to have a few bottles of water on hand in case of emergencies
- Thermometer on hand to check for fever. There are many different types available, so find one that suits your needs. It is also important to make sure that you have a backup battery or two in case of power outages. Explore a big collection here.
- Baby nail clipper to keep your baby’s nails trimmed.
- Baby Bathtub /Baby Bath Seat
Accessories for Sleeping
Bassinet, Crib, and Cot? One of the first decisions you’ll need to make is whether to use a bassinet, crib, or cot.
- Bassinets are smaller and often more portable than cribs, which can be handy if you plan on traveling with your baby. Baby Delight Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet & Bedside Sleeper is a good option to checkout.
- Cribs are larger and can be used for longer, but they can be more expensive.
While some babies are able to sleep through the night from an early age, others may need a little help in order to get a good night’s sleep.
If you’re struggling to get your baby to sleep, there are a few accessories that can help.
- One option is a white noise machine. This can be placed in the nursery and will help to soothe your baby with the sound of white noise. There are also a variety of apps that offer white noise, which can be played from your phone or tablet.
- Another option is a weighted blanket. This can help to calm your baby and make them feel more secure. You can also use a swaddle blanket to help your baby feel snug and secure.
- Nightlight for nursery. This can help you to check on your baby during the night without having to turn on a bright light. There are a variety of nightlights available, including some that project stars onto the ceiling.
- Finally consider using a baby monitor. A baby monitor is a great way to keep an eye on your little one while they are sleeping. There are many different types on the market, so find one that suits your needs.
Nanit pro smart baby monitor is an excellent choice.
On The Go / Moving Your Baby
- Car seat is an essential for any parent with a newborn. This is one of the most important purchases you will make for your child. You will need a car seat to bring your baby home from the hospital. You’ll need one that’s appropriate for your baby’s weight and height, and that fits in your car. Look for features like adjustable straps and headrests, and a base that’s easy to install (like ISOFIX). Explore the best brands like Cybex, Peg Perego, BRITAX etc.. here.
- Stroller is another must-have for getting out and about with your baby. There are lots of different types to choose from, so do your research to find one that will work best for you and your lifestyle. If you’re planning on doing a lot of walking or running with your stroller, look for one that has large wheels and a good suspension system. Take a look here for the best options.
- Baby carrier can be a lifesaver when you need to free up your hands. There are many different types available, so find one that’s comfortable for both you and your baby. Some carriers even allow you to breastfeed while wearing them, which can be a great perk.
Feeding Your Baby
One of the most important things you can do for your baby is to ensure that they are getting enough to eat.
Whether you are breastfeeding or bottle feeding, there are some essential items you will need to make sure your little one is getting the nutrition they need.
- Breast Pump: If you are planning on breastfeeding, a breast pump is a must-have. Not only will it help you to produce enough milk for your baby, but it will also allow you to store extra milk for when you are away from your baby or need a break. Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump or Medela Swing is great option. Also check Willow Wearable Breast Pump Kit.
Nursing Pillow: A nursing pillow is a great way to support your back and arms while you are feeding your baby. It will also help to position your baby correctly for optimal latch and comfort. Find out more.
- Nursing Bras: Nursing bras are designed to provide support and comfort while you are breastfeeding. They often have easy-access panels that make it easy to nurse your baby on the go. Explore the Kindred Bravely nursing bras collection.
- Bottles and Nipples: If you are bottle feeding, you will need a good supply of bottles and nipples. Look for bottles that are easy to clean and have a variety of nipple sizes to accommodate your baby’s needs.
- Formula: If you are using formula, be sure to buy a high-quality brand that is age-appropriate for your baby. You will also need a bottle brush and a formula dispenser to make feeding time easier.
- Burp Clothes: Burp clothes are a must-have for any new parent. They will help to keep your clothes clean while you are feeding your baby and can also be used to wipe up any spills.
- Pacifiers: Pacifiers can help to soothe your baby and can also be used as a way to prevent them from sucking their thumb. Be sure to choose a pacifier that is the correct size for your baby and that they can easily hold onto.
Now that your little one is here, it’s time to start having some fun! But before you can do that, you need to make sure you have all the gear you need to keep your baby safe, comfortable and entertained.
Here’s our ultimate newborn checklist for must-have playtime products:
- Bouncer seat: A bouncer seat is a great way to keep your baby safe and comfortable while you get things done around the house. Look for one with a removable toy bar for extra entertainment value. Check a big collection here.
- Play mat: A soft, cushioned play mat is the perfect place for your baby to explore, and it’s also great for tummy time. Choose one with built-in toys and activities to keep your little one engaged.
- Activity center: Once your baby is a bit older and able to sit up, an activity center is the perfect way to encourage exploration and promote motor skills. Look for one with a variety of toys and activities, as well as a sturdy base so it won’t tip over.
- Baby swing: A baby swing can provide your little one with the gentle motion they crave, and it’s also a great way to soothe them when they’re fussy. Choose one with a variety of speeds and settings so you can customize the perfect experience for your baby.
- Rocker: A rocker is a great way to soothe your baby, and it can also be used for feeding or as a place to put them down for a nap. Look for one with a reclining feature so you can find the perfect angle for your baby.
- Exersaucer: An exersaucer is a great way to keep your baby entertained and engaged, and it’s also a great way to promote their motor skills. Choose one with a variety of toys and activities to keep your little one occupied.
Your newborn will need a variety of clothing items to stay comfortable throughout the first few months.
Here are some must-have clothing items for your newborn:
- Onesies – Onesies are bodysuits that snap at the crotch, making them easy to change. They come in long and short sleeve varieties and can be worn as standalone shirts or as layering pieces. You’ll want several of these on hand in case of blowouts (when diapers leak) or spit-ups.
- Sleepers – Sleepers are one-piece pajamas that snap at the crotch and often have built-in footies. They’re perfect for bedtime and can also be worn during the day as an outfit.
- Socks or booties – To keep your newborn’s feet warm, you’ll need socks or booties. Socks are typically less expensive and easier to find in stores, but they can fall off easily. Booties stay on better, but they can be pricier.
- Hats – Hats are important for both warmth and sun protection. Choose a hat that’s light and breathable in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Mittens – Mittens can help prevent your newborn from scratching their delicate skin. Look for mittens that stay on well but aren’t too tight.
- Swaddles – Swaddles are large pieces of fabric that can be wrapped around your baby to help them feel secure and snug. They’re often used for naps and bedtime.
- Blankets – You’ll need several blankets for your newborn, both for warmth and for use as a surface for changing diapers. Choose ones that are soft and made from natural fibers like cotton or wool. Avoid synthetic materials like polyester, as they can irritate your baby’s skin. Baby blankets should be washable, so you can easily keep them clean.
- Outdoor gear – If you live in a cold climate, you’ll need some extra gear to keep your baby warm when you’re out and about. This could include a coat, snow pants, a hat, and boots.
- Rompers – Rompers are one-piece garments that can be worn as a standalone outfit or as a layering piece. They’re perfect for warmer weather and come in a variety of styles, from casual to dressy.
- Overalls – Overalls are one-piece garments that consist of pants with a bib-like top attached. They’re perfect for playtime and can be worn over a shirt or onesie.
Explore here a big collection of quality baby clothing. Everything you need.
There are many other items that can be great for your newborn, but they might not be necessary for everyone.
Here are some other items to consider:
- Mosquito Nets – If you live in an area with mosquitos, a mosquito net can be a great way to protect your baby from bites. It can be placed over a crib, stroller, or car seat.
- Portable Crib – A portable crib can be a great way to have a place for your baby to sleep when you’re away from home. It can also be used as a backup in case your regular crib is unavailable.
- Pack ‘n Play – A Pack ‘n Play is a versatile piece of equipment that can be used as a crib, changing station, or play area. It’s perfect for travel or for use at home.
- High Chair – A high chair can be a great way to feed your baby solid foods. It can also be used for crafts and other activities. Find the best brands here.
There you have it – the ultimate newborn checklist. With these items, you’ll be prepared for everything the first six months has to offer.
Leave a Reply