As a baby grows, you can shift from easy liquid foods to complex solid options. Feeding the correct dishes is essential to offer healthy nutrients and vitamins to your toddler. At 12 to 18 months, your baby can enjoy chunkier mashes and some stews.
You can also add dairy products such as cheese to the dish. Finely minced or softened adult food is also suitable. If you’re wondering about what to feed your toddler, you’re in the right place.
Homemade Food Recipes For 12 To 18 Months Baby
Here are the top homemade food recipes for a 12 to 18 months baby.
1. White Fish, Carrot, And Leek Puree
It is an energizing combination for your baby because the fish contains omega-3 fatty acids. This improves the central nervous system development of your baby.
Leek also offers cardiovascular support, while carrots are packed with antioxidants. So here are the instructions to follow:
- Place 6-ounce fish fillet in a steamer basket with 3 chopped carrots and 1 chopped leek (white and green parts only)
- Add ½ cup of water to a medium pan and let it boil over medium heat
- Steam the other ingredients in the basket for 15 minutes
- Let the combination cool slightly, then transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender
- Blend until the ingredients are smooth
- Add ¼ water at a time until the puree reaches the correct consistency
2. Baby Beef Stew
Beef stew is comfort food that many people enjoy because of its rich taste. You can also make a baby-friendly version of this dish to offer your kid iron-rich food.
The best part is that it smells pleasant, so your toddler will be encouraged to eat.
Here is the recipe to follow:
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom container at medium or high heat
- Take ½ pound beef chuck boneless roast and cut into cubes of ½ inches
- Add the pieces to the pot and sear for 2 to 3 minutes
- Chop ¼ small onion into small pieces, 1 carrot into 2-inch pieces, and a medium potato into 1-inch cubes
- Add the vegetables to the beef pot with 1 cup of water
- Stir the mixture and boil
- Then, decrease the heat to low and let the items cook slowly for 1 hour 15 minutes
- Do not take out the beef and vegetables until they become tender
- Lastly, add the stew to a food processor to form a good puree for your baby
3. Quinoa Banana Mash
This is a protein-packed dish that will help your baby’s growth. You can make the mash to offer potassium, protein, and other healthy nutrients to your baby. The best part is you can also try feeding cooked quinoa to your baby.
When cooked, the seeds stick on a toddler’s fingers, helping them eat easily.
So here are the instructions to follow:
- Cook 3 tablespoons of quinoa
- Add ½ banana to a medium bowl and mash
- Put the cooked quinoa, 1 tablespoon milk yogurt, and a pinch of cinnamon in the bowl
- Stir all the ingredients to reach a smooth texture
- Serve once you think the mash has become easy to eat
4. Whole Grain Pumpkin Waffle Dippers
You can easily feed this dish to your baby because of its excellent taste and aroma. The baby can also play with the food while eating for some fun. Of course, the best part is that the recipe includes whole grains, which are packed with protein and fiber. So your kid’s diet will improve a lot.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice mix
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon applesauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups of milk
Here is the recipe to follow:
- Heat your waffle iron on medium
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl
- Take another bowl but of medium size to whisk pumpkin puree, coconut oil, eggs, applesauce, milk, and extract
- Pour the wet ingredients in a medium bowl into the dry ones in a large container and whisk to reach a smooth texture
- If the batter is very thick, you can add some more milk to form a mixture resembling cake batter
- Add ½ cup mixture to the molds on a waffle iron and cook as per the device’s instructions
- While the waffle cooks, you can make a yogurt dipping mix to offer your baby a better dish
- Make the mix by adding ¾ cup plain whole-fat yogurt to 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Transfer the yogurt dip to small bowls after mixing well, and sprinkle ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice for taste
- Take out the waffles after cooking and let them cool slightly
- Cut pieces into small sticks and serve them with the dip to your baby
5. Egg Mayonnaise Sandwiches
Sandwiches are a good source of fiber for kids and will help them stay healthy. You can also provide more nutrients by adding eggs to them.
The best part is that they are easy to make. Kids also love sandwiches, so you won’t have to make much effort to make your baby eat.
This dish is mainly suitable for kids above 12 months. Here are the instructions to follow:
- Boil one large egg for five minutes or more
- Take away water after the item has hard-boiled
- Let the egg cool for some time, then chop it into small pieces
- Add two tablespoons of mayonnaise to the chopped egg
- Mix them thoroughly to form a smooth mixture
- Add the blend to the bread and make as many sandwiches as you can
- You should also add some chives for decoration
These are the top five homemade food recipes for a 12 to 18 months baby. You can easily feed them to your toddler to improve their health while offering energy. Some of the purees are also suitable for babies of nine months. This is why you can enjoy high flexibility. Check also : 12 Easy Baby-Led Weaning Lunch Ideas 9 – 12 Months